Online shopping is definitely convenient especially now. There are no lines and no crowds, but it can also be a haven for fraudsters. Consider the following tips when shopping online to ensure your information stays secure:
- Make sure that you are shopping at a trusted retailer when you enter your credit card details online.
- Use a reputable escrow service such as PayPal where possible.
- Provide retailers with only the necessary details to complete the transaction. These include your credit card number, expiry date, the security code on the back of the credit card and the card’s billing address. Never provide your social insurance number, account details or your mother’s maiden name. For shopping sites that require you to register with a username and password, we recommend you do not use your digital banking password.
- Use your credit cards only on websites that use secure browsing technology on the screens where you enter your card information. Ensure the web address begins with ‘https’ (as opposed to ‘http’) and has a closed padlock icon in the address bar.
- Ensure that smaller retailers requesting credit card details have reputable contact details and a physical address, and that you feel comfortable with providing them your card information.